Sunday, May 29, 2011

Smells fishy to me...



In "Brothers by Fire" there was a mention of a sauce called Nuoc Mam. Almost everyone that has been in Southeast Asia has had a taste of it. It was strongly flavored and when properly applied, it make anything taste somewhat like food. Somewhat.

And so after eating it for many weeks, I got to wondering where the stuff came from. As I walked along a road near Sattahip, I watched an old man climb a ladder up to the top of a large barrel. He lifted the lid and poured in a bucked of small silvery fish, still trying to swim.

I asked my friend what that was and he just smiled and said, "Nuoc Mam."

After the fish sits in the tropical sun for a few weeks, the spigot is opened and out comes the  golden liquid that I had been enjoying for so long.

There isn't much more that can or should be said about this subject.


You can find the EBook Kindle edition of this book at Amazon.com and at www.peaceriverbooks.com. The Peace River Books blog is updated each day.

Stop in once in a while. I'll try to write something new and informative about my book brothersbyfire.


Good Reading,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment